Don’t get me wrong; in this exact moment of my life while I am writing this I am undeniably content and carefree than I have ever been in my life. No restrictions whatsoever and most importantly I have absolutely zero regrets in life. I had to go through a lot to come this far and this isn’t the end. I honestly wouldn’t change a single event of my life. Because it has taught and brought me where I am today. And I know there is more to my life than this.
But as I look back to my twenty year old self, I do wish I could guide that lost, young woman and If I ever get a chance to meet my twenty year self, here’s what I’d tell her:
- You don’t owe anyone anything. This is your life and you own it. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
- Learn to say NO. No is a complete sentence, it does not require justification or an explanation.
- Today a reader, tomorrow a leader. Don’t be the person in the room who has absolutely no idea what’s going around them.
- If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it.
- Collect experience, not things.
- Balance out your life. Between work and social. You need people. Cutting them outta your life won’t do any good.
- Fall in love, fall out of love. Experience heartbreak. 5 years down the lane, you’d realize why it happened what happened.
- Wear what you want. People’s opinion is their problem, not yours.
- Don’t respond to guys flirting over social media. No good is going to come outta that!
- Spend time with your family. They may not express how happy that makes them, but believe it does make them happy.
- Losing that 5 pounds will not make you happier. You’re beautiful the way you are.
- Take risks, otherwise what fantastic stories are you ever gonna tell your kids?!
- Stop trying to fit in. you don’t have to do certain things to just fit in. Be yourself, those who love you, will love you. Those who don’t, oh well… to hell with them?
- Trust your instincts. If something doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t.
- Listen to your heart over your brain. It’s probably something stupid, you might even regret then, but 5 years from now you’d probably laugh over it.
- Try to stay away from gossip and drama. They just add on to your life anyway.
- Not everyone’s path is the same. Understand this!
- Siblings are everything. They’ll always have your back no matter what.
- Get a haircut, cry over it. Know that it will grow back. Have patience.
- Wake up early; it’s the best part of the day.
- Don’t own people. Own things.
- Not everything you feel is related to depression. You will be surprised to know how many people actually suffer through depression everyday. Consider yourself lucky that you aren’t even slightly close to what they are feeling
- There is no better meditation like praying. You’re not only closer to God, but you also get to listen to your soul.
- Dance like no ones watching!
- Eat chocolates. They are bloody awesome.
- Just because you haven’t met a man who doesn’t act like every other man, doesn’t mean he doesn’t exist.
- Stop spending money on expensive products to make your skin and hair look better. Youtube them for God sake!
I’d like to sign off by adding my favorite quote by my favorite who we all know as Ted Mosby – “The great moments of your life won’t necessarily be the things you do, they’ll also be the things that’ll happen to you. You can’t take action to affect the outcome of your life, you have to take action, and you will. But never forget that on any day, you can step out the front door and your whole life can change forever.” And when that’ll happen you life will be LEGEN-WAITFORIT-DARY! Legendary!